The cost of a roof replacement can be overwhelming. It can be very tempting to try and tackle your roof repairs yourself, but trust me roofing is one home improvement best left to a trained professional. Roofing is a very dangerous job and proper knowledge of product installation is necessary to ensure long term durability. Your best course of action is to contact a local roofing contractor.
What if you overlook steps in the installation that are necessary to the performance of your new roof, thereby sacrificing it’s durability and exposing your home’s roof decking and interior to water damage. The decision to re-roof your home yourself could prove to be more expensive in the long run than hiring a qualified roofer. If you are still considering tackling this project yourself, take these DIY factors into consideration so you know what’s involved with installing a new roof:
- Tarping siding and landscaping to protect work zone
- Tear off of existing asphalt roofing shingles
- Replacement of any roof decking if necessary
- Removal of all job related debris( which is often thousand of pounds)
- Carrying all roofing materials up on the roof for installation
- Proper installation of waterproofing underlayments
- Proper installation of new roofing shingles to adhere to manufacturers warranty
- Adequate roofing and soffit ventilation to ensure a long life for your new roof deck and shingles
Roofing is not as simple as painting walls or replacing a kitchen. It is a grueling, labor intensive job that if performed improperly will ultimately lead to more damage and even more costs. While there are several home improvements you can do yourself, roofing is not one of them. Call a factory trained and certified roofing professional to ensure long term protection.